Despite the dodgy results, West Brom has always been one of my favourite places to visit as a Chelsea fan, the people are friendly and there is usually a decent atmosphere (normally because they are beating us).
This picture was a great gesture too thanking Chelsea fans for making the trip, which is better than most away grounds you visit where they treat you with disdain and cannot wait to get rid of you. I have been to the Hawthorns 3 out of the last 4 seasons and rate the experience quite highly on all fronts.
Here are some other reasons I like travelling to the Hawthorns.
- The ground is easy to get to via the train or tram.
- There are places to drink within walking distance of the ground, including the Vine which does some amazing pub food
- Away fans are behind the goal and have a decent view of the pitch
- At half time they open the gates so people can go have a cigarette (and not hide in the toilets)
- They serve beer and its cheaper than in London
- The police, stewards and even opposition fans are friendly
All in all win, lose or draw it is a place where you can travel too, meet your mates, have a drink and watch football. I don’t know about you but that’s all i want from a football away day.
Also the other ground in Birmingham in the Premier League is Villa Park, it is nice to visit a ground that has friendly fans and is not a dump.
Hats off to West Brom and once again nice touch
Thank you for travelling 260 miles (distance between the Hawthorns and Stamford Bridge and back), congratulation on winning the 2014/2015 league title.
We hope you enjoy the pre-match entertainment, the Balti Pies and have a safe journey home